Leap Day (part 3)

Kandi family Leave a Comment


*If you need to catch up, please read here first and then here second*

When bio dad returns to the phone, he announces “I always thought that there would come a day when I would get a knock on my door from you”

“Hahaha!  I’m not knocking on some strangers door!  What if I was wrong?!  LOL”

“So how did you find me?”

“Well there is this thing called the world wide web….  And basically I found you in a day and for $1.  Guess you could call me a super sleuth” 

After that we both struggled with what to say next.  I kept telling him my super mature plan of hanging up on him and saying obnoxious things like “I don’t know what to say”.  Let’s just say sometimes I really wish I had a filter.

“Well what’s your last name?”

I told him and his wife without abandon began face-book stalking me while I was on the phone with them.  Understandable, but it was weird and left me feeling quite vulnerable.

“Oh My Goodness.  That’s [my mom’s name]” after he saw my profile picture.

“How many kids do you have?”


“Wow.  We have 3 boys and one of them is married with 2 kids”

And then I hear his wife cheering loudly in the background “I have 7 grandkids!”

This is the moment that took my breath away.  I never knew what would happen when I picked up the phone and made that call, but sky rocketing myself into his family was never on my mind.  It seemed too far fetched to seem real.  This was the moment that changed everything for me.  His wife, who I later learned knew about me from the very beginning, was just as joyous as bio dad to include me into the fold of their family.  It was then that I realized that this was the start of something special.

And then we began to start the process of speed dating our father/daughter/step mom relationship.  Small talk, answering difficult questions, background info that make us who we are…. all in a 30-60 minute conversation.  That call packed a punch.

We made a date for another phone call two days later and spent another 60-90 minute conversation that left me feeling hyped up on adrenaline and emotionally exhausted at the same time.  In fact, I’m not sure I’ve recovered nearly two weeks later.

I gave it a week and reached out to my half brothers through social media and after they left me hanging for a couple of days, each of them responded very warmly and happy to invite me into the family.

I’m so incredibly touched and yet terrified because there is still one more thing to do.

Tell my mom.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *